Sunday, July 5, 2009

Plan Ahead

After posting about The 5 Factor Diet, I realized I didn't provide the most important detail to making this plan successful. Planning ahead.

On Sunday evenings I always enjoy lounging around my apartment watching Lifetime movies, but while I'm doing so, I always outline what I'm going to be eating the week ahead. This keeps me on track and motivates me to wake up Monday morning with a plan. This goes along with the food journal I keep. In my journal, I record everything I eat. I do this so I have to see what I'm consuming and I'll think before I stuff that extra piece of bread in my mouth. Now it doesn't always work. Today, for intstance, I had way too much for breakfast, but now I know that I just can't eat as much for the rest of the day. I also know that I will have to get off the couch and put in a workout video very soon.

Here is a sample meal plan that I like to follow. Keep in mind, I'm a smaller person, so I don't require as much food as a taller person. (I'm between 5'3'' and 5'4'' and weigh between 115 and 118lbs)

Monday:
Breakfast- 2 egg whites with asiago cheese and 1 slice of wheat toast with Smart Butter
Snack- Special K Bliss bar
Lunch- Burger King grilled chicken salad or homemade chicken salad
Snack- 5 carrots with lowfat ranch dip and 5 small pieces of pineapple
Dinner- salad with a side of cooked veggies
Tuesday:
Breakfast- 1 slice of wheat toast with peanut or almond butter and 1 bowl of Wheaties cereal
Snack- 1 cup of lowfat yogurt with or without granola
Lunch- spinach and mushroom tortilla pizza
Snack- 5 pieces of pineapple
Dinner- salad or vegetable sandwich (veggie sub from Subway or veggie wrap)
Wednesday:
Breakfast- English muffin with peanut or almond butter
Snack- handful of almonds
Lunch- 1 small can of tuna on wheat toast, dry, with salt and pepper and cooked veggies
Snack- 1 cup of low fat yogurt
Dinner- salad or Lean Cuisine frozen dinner

*I always allow myself coffee for breakfast, as long as I use skim milk or fat free creamer. I also try to steer clear of heavy salad dressings and request them on the side every time. These little modifications can help cut calories without sacrificing taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment